Search Site
Post Divorce Modification And Enforcement

Divorces are highly contentious affairs that can put a heavy strain on everyone involved. When it is all over and the dust has settled, everyone wants to put this behind them and get on with life. Life, however, is not static. Situations change as time goes on, and there may be a point where you feel that the terms of your divorce need to be modified.

There are many reasons why a divorce judgment should be modified. Your ex-spouse may have developed drug or alcohol problems that would justify a change in custody arrangements for your children. You may have lost a job or been forced to take a lesser-paying job. One of you may have decided to move to another state. A non-working custodial parent may choose to enter the workforce, or a working parent may want to become a full-time caregiver for the children. Or perhaps your ex-spouse has remarried and you want to be relieved of your obligation to pay spousal support.

These are all valid reasons to seek a modification of your divorce judgment. The Courts, however, do not simply make changes because you request them. Judges will weigh all aspects of the situation. When children are involved, the Court always considers what is in their best interests, not necessarily what is best for you. You will need competent, experienced legal help to ensure that your requests have the best chance possible of being granted.

The attorneys at the law firm of John N. Fath, P.C. have over twenty-five years of experience in settling divorce, custody and visitation matters. We know the law. We have helped many of our clients successfully petition for a modification of their divorce judgment. We will put our experience and expertise to work for you and do everything necessary to get you the relief you seek, while at the same time providing you with honest advice about what you realistically can expect to receive from the Courts. We won’t waste your time and money pursuing modifications that have no chance of being granted.


If for any reason you fail to pay the child support provided for in your divorce judgment, the State will attempt to force you to pay. Your wages could be garnished, or your tax refund or lottery winnings could be intercepted and used for payment. Depending on how far you are behind in your payments, your driver’s license could be suspended, your credit history could be damaged, and liens could be placed on your property. You even could be sentenced to jail if you refuse to pay and there is no way for the State to collect what you owe.

Don’t let this happen to you. There may be a very good reason why you are unable to make your child support payments, but if you fall behind your ex-spouse can ask the State to come after you. You can avoid this by acting now, before you fall behind. The attorneys at the law firm of John N. Fath, P.C. can help you file a request for a modification of your divorce judgment. We have successfully represented hundreds of clients in Nassau County and Suffolk County who were seeking such modifications, and we will work just as hard to get you the relief you need.


If you are the custodial parent and your ex-spouse has fallen behind on his or her support payments, the attorneys at the law firm of John N. Fath, P.C. can help you file a petition with the State so that your custody payments can be paid even if your ex-spouse does not want to pay them. And if you believe that any of the other provisions of your divorce judgment are not being followed, such as spousal support, visitation, or custodial arrangements, we will help you petition the Court to enforce your divorce judgment.

Call or email the attorneys at the law firm of John N. Fath, P.C. today to discuss how we can help you modify or enforce your divorce judgment.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • Patchogue Office
    629 Route 112
    Shore building, Suite 7
    Patchogue, New York 11772
    Phone: 631-654-2303
    Fax: 631-289-8305